I tried jackfruit!

Hey all, today I wanted to talk about something crazy that I tried this weekend. My family and I were having dinner with some family friends, and they said they would be serving pulled pork. I was wondering what I might do to bring my own protein, when I remembered that I had some jackfruit in my fridge (we picked some up on a whim a couple of weeks ago). So I thought to myself "Why don't I try jackfruit today?

(The brand of jackfruit we got, pre-coated in thai curry sauce.)


While researching what to do with the jackfruit, I learned that the jackfruit, when fried and shredded, has a texture very similar to guess what... pulled pork! So, although southern US cooking isn't the most exotic international cuisine, I decided to create a vegan "pulled pork" using the jackfruit. Little did I know, using jackfruit as vegan pulled pork is "trendy" right now.

(A cut open jackfruit. You can see how fibrous and stringy it is.)

It wasn't complicated to make, but it was really tasty. It had a taste that was similar to pulled pork and bbq flavours (although the texture was somewhat different), so it worked well. I found that it did not really have that much of a taste on its own, but it picked up the taste of the barbecue sauce well.


Overall, the jackfruit was very simple to cook, as all I had to do was pan fry it for ~10 minutes, and it was cooked! if you are feeling adventurous, I think that you too should try this. Although it has a little bit less protein than a meat, it is a good option.  Note - I removed most of the curry sauce it was mixed with in the package.


(The jackfruit, sizzling in the pan.)


Thanks for reading my shorter post today. I hope you enjoyed the read and maybe even feel inspired to try jackfruit for yourself!

Other photos:

(Me, "pulling" the jackfruit to make it have a pulled meat texture)

(The jackfruit, pulled in the pan with added BBQ sauce.)

(The completed sandwich, with a brioche bun, some cheese, and a little mayo.)


Sam

Comments